Share on :

How Do I Find a Legitimate Emotional Support Animal?

The most legitimate way to get an emotional support animal is to talk to your doctor. There is no service or emotional support animal registry in the United States, so ESA registration is not required by law. To obtain a support animal, you must get an ESA letter from a licensed mental health provider.

Talk to your health provider to decide whether you need and qualify for an emotional support animal as part of your treatment.

To qualify for ESA, your healthcare provider must certify that you:

  • Have a disability that prevents you from going about your daily life
  • That an ESA as part of treatment can benefit your condition

If you qualify for ESA, your health care provider will issue an ESA letter.

[therapypet_step1_form show_in_mobile="1"]